Wednesday, February 20, 2008

How far my food traveled

Here is what I ate today:

-I started off the morning with a couple of blueberry Eggos with some Log Cabin Syrup.
-I picked my girlfriend up from work for lunch, and we went to the Red Fox where I had a cheeseburger and French fries.
-I snacked on an Oatmeal Cream Pie between lunch and dinner
-For dinner I made myself some Mac N Cheese

So I found out that Eggos are actually made by Kellogg’s, and that the Eggo plant is located in Battle Creek, Michigan. The Log Cabin syrup I put on my Eggos is actually made by a company called Pinnacle Foods, and their plant is located in Allentown, PA. I found this kind of funny, because Pinnacle foods actually makes Mrs. Butterworth’s syrup as well, so I wonder how much of a difference there really is between the two. My Little Debbie’s Oatmeal Cream Pies come from a company called McKee Foods Corp. and it looks like they have plants all over the place. The closest plant they have to Alaska is in Arizona, so I would assume the food came from there. The Mac N Cheese I had for dinner was from Kraft Foods, and figuring out where exactly it came from was a little tricky. I looked on the box hoping it would tell me where it came from, but the only address on the box said Northfield, Illinois. I looked on their web site, and it said that Northfield was actually the company headquarters, so I’m assuming the actual production plant was somewhere else.

I left my lunch for last because tracking down the food would be a lot harder since I had no idea where the beef, veggies, or bun had come from. I know that a lot of the food is grown in one place, sent to another place to be processed, and then is sometimes packaged in a whole other area. It would be interesting (and probably a little disturbing) to know exactly where all that food did come from. Being in Alaska makes the situation even worse. I do notice a difference in the taste of foods when I travel out of state, and most people I have talked to say that the difference is due to the fact that food is usually frozen on it’s journey up to Alaska, and some of the freshness is lost because of the freezing.

No comments: