Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mark Fiore Response

The animated cartoon by Mark Fiore seems to be an attempt to make a mockery of our society in general. I don’t really know if he is making much of an argument so much as he is stating his apparent distaste for the shape of our economy through his own artistic expression. I think he makes a lot of really good points throughout the animation, and it took me 3 or 4 times of watching it to catch all of his points, or “evidence” if you want to call it that. I do think that this cartoon is geared towards people with more of an understanding of what is going on. Someone who didn’t know much about the state of our economy probably wouldn’t get much out of the cartoon.

There is also a lot of sarcasm in his animation, and I would say he uses this as his biggest technique in mocking the government and the people of the U.S. He also uses a little bit of humor, and the mix of sarcasm and humor makes it hard to distinguish whether he is just poking fun at the situation, or if he is actually trying to offend people. I agree with his opinion on our economy, but if I disagreed, I don’t really know how I would react to the cartoon. Part of me would most likely be offended, but at the same time, you can’t be mad at someone for stating their opinion.